Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Getting around: Life in Wellington vs Paris


So as a Kiwi French teacher, it isn't surprising that I have lived in France, in the beautiful city of Paris.  When I returned to my home town Wellington, it surprised me how my life was to change in comparison to my Parisian lifestyle.   Sure, it was great to be back, but I did miss the convenience and ease of living in Paris.  So why was it easier living in Paris?  Lets compare!
Clichy is a suburb of Paris, and Karori is a suburb of Wellington in New Zealand –the latter is characteristic of low density urban sprawl while Clichy is a compact city with medium to high density housing.  I lived in each of these places for approximately 10 months and without a vehicle.   Check out the maps below showing key amenities and walking time from where I was living:

     Clichy, Paris




From my apartment in Paris, by foot, it would take:
    •  12 minutes to the metro station
      • metro leaves every 5 to 10 minutes
      • 10 minutes to get to the centre of Paris from station
    • 2 supermarkets within 2 minutes walk, another three within 10 minutes
    • 3 minutes to sports field
    • 10 minutes to park
    • 15 minutes to pool
    • 1 minute to closest school

     Karori, Wellington (New Zealand)


From my house in Karori,by foot, it would take

    • 5 minutes to closest bus station
      • bus leaves every 20 minutes
      • 10 - 15 minutes to get to the centre of Wellington
    • 25 minutes walk to two supermarkets (both located in the same mall)
    • 2 minutes walk to sports field 
    • 1 minute walk to park/cemetery 
    • 20 minutes to pool 
    • 20 minute to closest school                                         

As you can see from these maps (both to the same scale), there is more available in Clichy within a short walking distance.   Of even more significance is the frequency of the public transport in Paris:  every 5 minutes on peak and 10 minutes off peak was extremely convenient.    

 And the culture shock...

When I returned to Wellington, I remember my experience of public transport like a culture shock.    Buses would arrive every 20 minutes and would seem to take forever. Furthermore, I no longer had supermarkets and other shops my doorstep.  My Parisian turn-up-and-go lifestyle had come to and end; getting around was now to be governed by timetables, long distance walking, and infrequent buses. Not only were buses infrequent, they were often late - one morning in particular the bus arrived 30 minutes later than scheduled – and upon arrival, there were three buses following each other truck-and-trailer.  
Needless to say, by the end of 10 months of living in Karori, I was aching to own my own vehicle.   But it also made me think about effective planning in cities and how this makes live easier for everyone.  I began to understand the importance of frequent and reliable transport and I wondered whether New Zealand cities could ever achieve Parisian-like ease of living.  Let me know your thoughts!  Thanks for reading:)

No comments: